Nothing has changed yet, but Tarique Rahman is trying to bring change: Fakhrul

 


Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir said many people have simply changed their colours and they have now become the biggest July warriors.

Local Government, Rural Development and Co-operatives Minister Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir today (30 July) lamented that nothing has changed in the country's administrative culture despite the July mass uprising, but expressed hope that change will come under the leadership of Prime Minister Tarique Rahman.

With great pain, I must say this based on my four to five months' experience as a minister. I see that nothing has changed. Those who used to take bribes are still finding ways to take bribes. Those who used to obstruct good work are still doing so," he said while addressing a discussion marking the 2nd anniversary of the July mass uprising in the capital.

The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting organised the event at Tatya Bhaban in the city. A publication of the Press Information Department was unveiled and a photo exhibition inaugurated at the event.

Fakhrul, also the BNP secretary general, said many people have simply changed their colours and they have now become the biggest July warriors.


"I say these words with regret…. I truly wanted to see change this time. But so far, I have not seen it among us," he said.

We have to change our mindset. If we can bring change to every sphere of society, then the July revolution will be successful and we will be able to see its true outcome. I believe the people of Bangladesh are hardworking and self-sacrificing. They want change. If each of us performs our responsibilities properly, change will certainly come. Our leader, the Prime Minister, is working tirelessly and trying every moment to bring about that change," the BNP leader said.

"I remain optimistic because I see change in one person, and that is Tarique Rahman. He is trying to bring about change and is setting new examples. If we all carry forward those examples together, I believe the country will change. Everyone should support him (Tarique Rahman)," he added.

Referring to Tarique Rahman's leadership, the minister said, "For example, he says 'keep the surroundings clean.' He tells children that if they see someone littering, they should stop them and ask them to throw waste in the proper place. He instructs city corporations to maintain cleanliness. But the problem is that things remain clean only as long as he or someone else is present. Afterwards, everything goes back to the way it was."

Referring to the continuation of the old administrative culture, the minister said, "It is not only the government or the political leadership that must change. Every individual in society must change their mindset. Otherwise, the sacrifices of July will not produce the desired results."

Highlighting the sacrifices made during the July revolution, Fakhrul said, "Many lives were lost – our children, our young people. Those who have lost loved ones will forever remember that their brother is gone. I saw a picture of a mother waiting, perhaps still believing her son would return but he never will. In Parliament, a woman who lost her child said 'I lost my family.' The price we have paid has been enormous."

"If we fail to honour those sacrifices, if we cannot use them as the foundation for bringing about change, then this mother's tears and the blood that was shed will go in vain. I say these words with a heavy heart," he said.

Information and Broadcasting Minister Zahir Uddin Swapon, who chaired the session, said, "During the 17-year political struggle, opposition leaders and activists endured imprisonment, persecution and false cases. The July mass uprising emerged from that long movement. Through the political leadership's strategy and the participation of students, the movement became a nationwide uprising. Ultimately, it paved the way for the fall of the authoritarian regime."

He underscored the need for remaining vigilant so that no one can exploit the spirit and achievements of the July mass uprising for personal or political gain.

মন্তব্যসমূহ

এই ব্লগটি থেকে জনপ্রিয় পোস্টগুলি

বরিশালে ‘হানিট্র্যাপ চক্রের’ তরুণীসহ গ্রেপ্তার ২

ডাকসু নির্বাচন: কে হবেন ভিপি, কে হবেন জিএস? জানা গেলো সম্ভাব্য প্রার্থীদের নাম

প্রতি বছর ৫০০ কোটি কন্ডোম তৈরি করে এই সংস্থা। কিন্তু হরমুজ বন্ধে পর্যাপ্ত কাঁচামালের অভাবে লাটে ওঠ